Vacancy number: 170003HG
About the company
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
AkzoNobel creates everyday essentials to make people's lives more livable and inspiring. As a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, we supply essential ingredients, essential protection and essential color to industries and consumers worldwide. Backed by a pioneering heritage, our innovative products and sustainable technologies are designed to meet the growing demands of our fast-changing planet, while making life easier. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we have approximately 46,000 people in around 80 countries, while our portfolio includes well-known brands such as Sikkens, International, Interpon, Eka and Chemcraft.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
AkzoNobel Inc.–has an outstanding opportunity for an Indirect Tax Specialist. The Indirect Tax Specialist will support and execute in an accurate and timely way the required ongoing, monthly, quarterly, and annual indirect tax related activities for the entities in the region, Also, maintain and monitor the indirect tax compliance of the entities in the region. In addition, advice and support specialists and operations analysts related to indirect tax matters.
- Support and execute in an accurate and timely way the required ongoing, monthly, quarterly, and annual indirect tax related activities for the entities VAT registered in the region.
- Manage AkzoNobel’s indirect tax compliance including the preparation and filing of indirect tax returns (including VAT/GST/sales tax returns and other local transactions related filings)
- Obtain monthly indirect tax reports from AkzoNobel’s accounting third party provider (or retrieve such reports from the ERP system) and execute the (locally) required quality checks and reconciliations
- Resolve any issues and/or variances identified in the quality and reconciliation process.
- Monitor compliance of indirect tax (e.g. 0% indirect tax, export documentation requirements)
- Manage Indirect Tax Audits - Upon receipt of an audit notification advise management and ATD. Completing an audit will be a collaborate effort with RAC and ATD
- Provide data as requested by the auditor which includes a.o. sales and purchase information, copies of tax filing, charts of accounts and trial balances
- Collaborate with various departments to obtain the information needed to answer information data requests from the auditors
- Advisory role for the business operations included (CSD / purchasing advice on VAT / Sales tax subjects)
- Legislative Changes - Advise and monitor indirect tax settings in the ERP systems due to changes in legislation.
- Monitor Indirect tax settings in the vendor, customer and material master data
- Review and communicate relevant tax law updates from third party sources to keep abreast of any changes that might impact AkzoNobel
- Preparation of the indirect tax return and other related filings (eg EC Sales List, Intrastat)
Job requirements / Candidate profile
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Indirect tax accounting professional with preferably minimum of 3 years of experience in an indirect tax accounting role, and capable of analyzing complex processes and issues
- Adequate knowledge in indirect tax matters and SAP
- Advance user of Microsoft Excel
- Autonomous in organizing responsibilities and work
- Ability to work under severe time pressure during peak filing periods and continuously retain ‘an eye’ for the details
- Adequate communication skills
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans (M/F/D/V)