Vacancy number: 170003HH
About the company
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
AkzoNobel creates everyday essentials to make people's lives more livable and inspiring. As a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, we supply essential ingredients, essential protection and essential color to industries and consumers worldwide. Backed by a pioneering heritage, our innovative products and sustainable technologies are designed to meet the growing demands of our fast-changing planet, while making life easier. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we have approximately 46,000 people in around 80 countries, while our portfolio includes well-known brands such as Sikkens, International, Interpon, Eka and Chemcraft.
In North America, 4,500 employees work at more than 50 locations to support the Performance Coatings and Specialty Chemicals Business Areas. Consistently ranked as a leader in sustainability, we are dedicated to energizing cities and communities while creating a protected, colorful world where life is improved by what we do.
AkzoNobel Inc.–has an outstanding opportunity for a Direct Tax Specialist. The Direct Tax Specialist will support and execute in an accurate and timely way the required ongoing, monthly, quarterly, and annual direct tax related activities for the entities in the region. Also, assist AkzoNobel Tax Department (ATD) in the monitoring of the (direct) tax compliance of the entities in the region. In addition, active interaction with specialists and operations analysts in the Regional Accounting Center (RAC) regarding subjects that require direct tax expertise including tax accounting.
- Support and execute in an accurate and timely way the required ongoing, monthly, quarterly, and annual direct tax related activities for the entities in the region
- Complete tax packages used by tax services provider to prepare corporate income tax returns annually and answer tax services provider’s follow-up questions, provide information for the calculation of and facilitate the payment of monthly / quarterly income tax installments
- Support on withholding tax including the review of withholding tax returns prepared by Infosys / and review of the identification of withhold tax from payments
- Support on income tax audits (as required)
- Income tax accounting including calculating current and deferred income taxes (monthly, quarterly annually and computation of the return to tax provision) and filing in the forms for reporting (quarterly and annually)
- Support on transfer pricing including the preparation of the local file and the segmentation sheet. Coordinate and complete transfer pricing documentation / segmentation sheet especially in shared entities
- Maintain and monitor the (direct)tax compliance of the entities in the region including monitoring changes in legislation and business that result in tax risks/ opportunities
- Active interaction with specialists and operations analysts in the RAC regarding tax accounting and other subjects that require direct tax expertise
- Complete tax packages for tax services provider
- Review of withholding tax return
Job requirements / Candidate profile
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Master’s degree in Tax
- Direct tax professional with preferably minimum of 2 plus years of experience in a direct tax role, and capable of analyzing complex processes and issues under severe time pressure
- Adequate knowledge in direct tax accounting including a working knowledge of accounting for deferred tax
- Understanding of IFRS
- Advance user of Microsoft Excel
- Advance user of SAP
- Autonomous in organizing responsibilities and work
- Ability to work under severe time pressure during month-end closures and continuously retain ‘an eye’ for the details
- Adequate communication skills
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans (M/F/D/V)